Normal

Thursday, December 17, 2015

A Few of My Favorite Things

One of the hardest things that I've had to deal with in the process of beginning a blog is knowing what to write about. There are a lot of things that need to get done before Christmas and so I didn't have much time to put this post together. As a result of that I also couldn't think of anything to write, so I wrote this post. It's basically a big list of all of the different things that I enjoy doing.

Music 


1. Twenty One Pilots is a band that I discovered while at church camp this past summer. The first time I heard one of their songs, which was an interesting mixture of a bunch of different genres, I was drawn to it. While I was at camp that week, I heard a lot of their songs being played and I grew very interested in the band.

When I got back from camp I searched for Twenty One Pilots on YouTube and found that they had released three albums (actually they have released four, but the fourth one is no longer being sold). I absolutely love their sound which is different from anything I've ever heard before, and the message behind the lyrics in their music are insightful and layered. Whenever I listen to one of their songs I learn something new from the lyrics or I realize that the whole song is a metaphor for something else. Twenty One Pilots is a band that I would highly recommend. They have really made me think about not only music in a different way, but life. You can find them on YouTube here.

2. Coldplay is another band that I really enjoy. I've been listening to Coldplay since I was eight years old when I listened to the song 42 on my dad's Ipod. I instantly fell in love with their sound. Since that time I have obtained every album they have ever released and listened to every b-side on YouTube. I think one of things I love most about Coldplay is that I have known about them for so long and can associate each of their albums to a different time in my life (For instance I will never separate X & Y from refrigerator shopping) and that's really special to me. Plus, they write great music. :)

3. Other:  I also love a lot of classical music, especially waltzes (The Emperor Waltz, Blue Danube Waltz, The Sleeping Beauty Waltz), piano solos (Erik Satie, Clair De Lune, The Seasons, For Piano) and film scores (Ratatouille, Up, Harry Potter, Finding Nemo among others).
(Here are some other artists I enjoy and listen to a lot: John Mark McMillan, Adrian Von Ziegler, Switchfoot)

YouTube 

1. Blimey Cow is a YouTube channel created two brother ins Nashville, Josh and Jordan Taylor. It is produced by and stars the brothers and Josh's wife Kelli. Wikipedia describes the channel well:

The channel usually targets the idiosyncrasies of conservative Christianity, church, family, and romantic relationships.
That description pretty much sums up Blimey Cow. Their videos are hilariously sarcastic and I have really learned a lot from their videos. I appreciate what they're trying to do, especially because they do it well. You can find the channel here.


2. Katie Gregoire is another YouTuber who has taught me a lot. She's a warm, funny, silly college student who loves Jesus. I actually first heard about Blimey Cow through her. You can find her channel here.

(Other Youtubers I enjoy: Say Goodnight Kevin, Kid Snippets, Gabe Miller Music)

Those are a few of my favorite things. I hope you enjoyed them! I'll probably do another post on just my favorite books in a future post. Announcement: I will not be posting Christmas Week (but I might post something on Christmas for fun.) and possibly the week after. I'll keep you all posted. Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment